In this post you can find the perfect side dish for any special occasion: Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Bacon!
Ahh, the fall weather here in Maryland is finally touching down, and I am beyond excited.
Fall is seriously the best season ever, sorry summer — the beautiful colors, crisp air, the flavorful foods, Halloween, the pumpkins and so on.
Today, I want to share one of my favorite fall foods with you, caramelized brussels sprouts with bacon. Super easy to make, and super savory to taste!
Enjoy. Please let me know your thoughts about this recipe in the comments below!
This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you. You can read more about it here.
My personal history with these caramelized brussels sprouts with bacon
Until this blog starts to monetize, I am working part-time at Seasons 52, a restaurant that changes its menu seasonally to offer the freshest food selections of each season. I have worked there for four years, and I cannot tell you how much I anticipate the fall menu and the tasty caramelized Brussels Sprouts accompaniment. I know I am not alone because a lot of guests come to Seasons solely for the Brussels Sprouts.
Well, I’m outraged this year because they did not bring back our OG Brussels Sprouts. Instead, they are featuring a truffle-honey Brussels Sprouts. They are still delicious, but I am still in mourning for the caramelized Brussels Sprouts with bacon.
Over the years, I have attempted approximately 15 times to perfect this recipe. Throughout lots of trials and errors, I have finally found a recipe that I love!
Enjoy this dish. It is the perfect combination of savory and sweet and is the perfect side dish for any occasion.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
- 1 lb of Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 Pieces of Bacon
- 1 tablespoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Wash Brussels Sprouts. Cut the stem off, and then, cut into halves. Place your sprouts into a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, soften your stick of butter in the microwave for 15 seconds. Add sugar and salt. Whisk ingredients together.
4. Add your whisked butter, sugar, and salt to your Brussels. Mix them around for two to three minutes to make sure the Brussels are evenly coated. This will aid the caramelization process.
5. *Optional, cover the baking pan with foil for an easier cleanup. Lay a roasting rack over the foil.* If you do not have a roasting rack, make sure you flip your sprouts every 10 minutes. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the outer leaves of the Brussels start to turn a golden brown.
6. While your sprouts are cooking, cook your bacon in a saute pan on medium-high heat. Once they are cooked through, remove bacon and place onto a paper towel to drain grease.
7. Once the bacon has cooled and harden, chop bacon into 1/4" pieces.
8. When Brussels are browned, removed from the oven and transfer to a baking dish. Add the butter/sugar/salt mix that has drained under the roasting rack back to the Brussels. Add in your chopped bacon. Put back into the oven for 10 minutes to soften your Brussels even more.
10. Enjoy the deliciousness.
Sunday 22nd of September 2019
I never used to like brussel sprouts but then I had with bacon and butter and that changed everything! I've not had with the brown sugar added so will definitely be trying that!
Tuesday 1st of October 2019
The bacon makes all the difference! They are so yummy!
Friday 20th of September 2019
These look amazing! Brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable, we eat them at least 3 times a week. I'm going to have to try this recipe, it sounds amazing.
Tuesday 1st of October 2019
They really are so delightful. I cannot believe that I didn't eat them growing up!