Inside: Four Day of the Dead coloring pages in Spanish. These Day of the Dead printables are perfect for use in the Spanish classroom or at home.
These Day of the Dead printables are the perfect activity to teach your kids about Día de los Muertos in Spanish!
Keep reading to find out how to get your free Day of the Dead printables in Spanish, but first, let’s learn a little bit more about the history of Day of the Dead!
*This site may contain affiliate links. To real the full disclosure, click here.
A brief history of Day of the Dead
Day of the dead is often mistaken for what, here in the U.S. we know as Halloween. However, Día de los Muertos, is in fact, very different.
Day of the Dead originates over 3000 years ago during the Aztec empire. For the entire month of August, they worshiped and laid out sacrifices for Mictecacihuatl, the Aztec queen of the underworld and protector of the dead.
The Spanish conquistadores witnessed this celebration and, over time, began combining parts of Day of the Dead with the Catholic holiday, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day.
The merging of these two holidays has transformed over the years to today’s celebration of the Day of the Dead, where Mexicans celebrate and rejoice life for two days. It is a happy time when the living and deceased loved ones are reunited once again.
During the two-day celebration of life, there are many parades, decorated ofrendas, gravesite visits, colorful decorations, and lots of traditional Mexican food.
Related: 80+ Day of the Dead Quotes in Spanish
Activities you can do to go along with these Day of the Dead Printables
- Watch Coco on Disney +.
Coco is Lennox, and I’s new favorite Disney movie. The animations are excellent, and the songs even better! It also explains the concept of Dia de Los Muertos perfectly! **Don’t forget to set your audio source to Spanish so your kiddos can get some language practice too!
- Don’t have Disney Plus? Check out these fun YouTube videos in Spanish for kids.
- Learn more about Día de Los Muertos with Mama Llama Linguist’s Day of the Dead 12 Unit curriculum in Spanish. This engaging, interactive curriculum includes an activity pack with themed learning. 12 Unit Day of the Dead vocabulary flashcards, which you can purchase individually. A digital magazine about Day of the Dead with themed stories, crafts, and games. And it also has a themed music playlist. How fun! You can get 10% off of the Day of the Dead Unit by using the code Lorenaylennox .
- Color away with these four adorable coloring pages!
How can you get your free Day of the Dead printables?
If you are already a subscriber, these free Day of the Dead printables will shortly make their way to your inbox.
If you are new to Lorena & Lennox, Bilingual Beginnings, or have been shy to subscribe, you can do so at the end of this post. Not only will you receive exclusive access to these Day of the Dead printables in Spanish, but other seasonal and holiday-related activities in Spanish for kids!.
To check out what other Spanish activities you can find, click here.
If you do not wish to subscribe— I understand. My inbox gets jammed as well— you can purchase these printables for a small charge at my TPT site here. Either way, you are helping to support this blog!!!
Enjoy these activities! We will be spending our day watching Coco! ¡Feliz día de los muertos!
Other posts you might enjoy:
- 15 Not-So-Spooky Halloween Books in Spanish for Preschoolers
- 20 Free Halloween Printables for Preschoolers
- Free Halloween Scavenger Hunt in Spanish and English for Kids
Thursday 14th of October 2021
These are super cute! My kids are still a little too small for these, but we make sure they do dia de muertos every year to honor their ancestors ;) I'll be coming back to these in future years!
Thursday 4th of November 2021
That's awesome, Dawn! It is such a fun and cultural experience. I hope you do come back for the free Día de los Muertos printables!