Inside: A round-up post of 20 + creative and fun ways to learn the ABCs with your preschoolers.
It is the month of literacy here on my blog.
In my past few posts, I have shared a handful of resources that will prepare your child to set sail on their literacy journey in Spanish such as these ABC book recommendations, Spanish reading readiness resources, and more!
Regardless of whether you are teaching your child to read in Spanish, English, or any other language, any emergent reader must be able to identify and pronounce the letters.
Learning the letters is NOT an easy task for preschoolers, not easy at all. In fact, it can be highly intimidating. That’s why I believe children should not learn the letters in the traditional workbook kind of way (don’t get me wrong, these can help), but rather through a play-based approach.
That’s why I asked some fabulous kid bloggers to share some of their most creative and fun ways to learn the ABCs.
With that said, let’s get playing and learning the letters!
- High-Frequency Words in Spanish
- Color Learning Activities for Preschoolers
- How to Read to Bilingual Children
*This site may contain affiliate links. To real the full disclosure, click here.
Fun Gross Motor Ways to Learn the ABCs
By: Bilingual Beginnings
- Through this playful repetition in this fun Don’t Break the Ice Letters Smash, your child should learn the alphabet in no time!
- Sandbox Name Treasure Dig by The Crazy Outdoor Mama
If you have a toddler or preschooler that can’t seem to sit still to even glance in the direction of a letter, this fun, sandbox name treasure dig will be the PERFECT activity to learn the letters and get out the extra energy at the same time!
- This creative tape line ABC activity by 3 Dinosaurs is the PERFECT activity for those kiddos that can’t seem to ever sit still! It is super easy to set up, and it will keep the little busy walking on their letters for a while!
- This Alphabet Letter Fishing activity by Fun With Mama is a great water activity to grab your child’s attention for quite a while while he fishes out the letters of the alphabet!
- There’s nothing more gross motor than running! So try out this letter running game by Home With Hollie to exert all the pent-up energy!
Fun Games to Learn the ABCs
By: Bilingual Beginnings
- Learn the Spanish alphabet with this fun and engaging printable PDF ABC bingo in Spanish for preschoolers to play in the classroom or at home!
Related: Printable Winter Bingo in Spanish
- Maybe Spanish isn’t your minority language, and Korean is, the Chalk Academy offers four great ways to learn the Korean alphabet with Hangul letters!
- If you’re reading this around fall, you can try this fall leaf letter matching game by Little Ladoo.
- Sticking with the fall theme, learn the alphabet with this Acorn Alphabet Learning Activity by Crafting With Kids
- Try out these 2 fun letter games with salt by Learn With Play At Home. These games will help with letter recognition and handwriting practice!
- Play this Hop the Alphabet Board Game by Mama Smiles that comes with a free printable to print out and play!
- Just maybe you are reading this post around St. Patrick’s Day, if so, why not do this St. Patrick’s Day Lower and Uppercase Letter Matching Game by Rainy Day Mum
- Play this alphabet soup sensory bin game by Simply Full of Delight.
Sensory and Fine Motor Activities to learn the ABCs
By Bilingual Beginnings
- Scent your salt up with this seasonal peppermint salt writing tray by Bilingual Beginnings to practice the letters!
- Give your ABC puzzle a new use with this Alfoil Puzzle Piece Fine Motor Activity by Finding Myself Young. This activity is not only sensory and fine motor, but it is also a game! I am super excited to try this activity out with Lenox myself!
- Does your preschooler love sensory bins like mine does? Then try out this alphabet sensory bin by Taming Little Monsters.
- Get your kiddo in the kitchen to learn their letters with this Book & Cook ABC activity by Red Ted Art
- Try out this unique fine motor Paper Towel Roll ABC Stickers by Wonder in His World.
- Make a Learning Alphabet Sensory Bottle by Mommy Evolution to help your child learn their letters, practice letter sounds and even work on simple spelling.
Fun Ways to Learn the ABCs with printables
- This Free Printable Alphabet Scavenger Hunt by Play Party Plan is a great indoor activity to do with your children! Go on a hunt around the house and see if they can find the letters on the list! Celebrate once you find all 26 letters!’
- Play this free printable game of ABC Bingo made by The Typical Mom blog. This activity is great for little hands and it will have everyone engaged and interacting to learn the ABCs!
- I love this Building Alphabet Letters by JDaniel’s 4 Mom. It comes with a free barn printable and flashcards, and together with the printables and popsicle sticks, your child can get building their letters!
By: Bilingual Beginnings
- Use these Spanish flashcards in a variety of fun and creative ways to memorize the alphabet! My favorite way to use them is as an energy buster : Place the flashcards on the opposite side of the room and call out a letter. Have your child run and find the letter as quickly as possible. More points if they can draw the letter after!
- Here are some more free alphabet flashcards for the English alphabet by Lil Tigers.
- For more free printables in Spanish to learn the Spanish alphabet, I have an ongoing series of letter printables that are exclusive to all of my subscribers!
Well, friend, I have high hopes that you will find an activity to use with your preschooler to learn the alphabet! Let me know if you have a favorite in the comments below!