Help your children become more present in their daily lives with these 100+ mindfulness quotes for kids.
Keep reading to learn a little bit more about mindfulness, and how you can add these mindfulness quotes for kids into your daily life to encourage mindfulness in your children, and in yourself, too.
This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you. You can read more about it here.
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness means being present in the actual moment. Being aware of the space around you, what’s happening, what you’re doing, what you’re thinking and how you’re feeling.
According to Mindful.org, mindfulness is defined as “the basic human ability to be full present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.”
Mindfulness is a practice. A ritual of stopping everything that you are doing and checking in with yourself and your surroundings.
The more mindfulness is practiced, the more it seeps into your everyday life allowing you to worry less and enjoy more. It is an act of getting to know ourselves. An act of prioritizing our needs. An act of self care.
Why is mindfulness important?
In today’s society, where “busyness” is the height of productivity and success, and where we are surrounded by screens that stimulate our every doing, we have lost touch with the ability to feel, to be human, to enjoy.
Take this quote from Eckhart Tolle to put mindfulness into perspective: “In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.”
Being able to stop what you are doing and center yourself around your thoughts will help you better get to know yourself as well as calm anxiety and stress. It will bring clarity to your life and help your see what is bringing joy to your life versus what is causing you to worry. It is a step towards healing open wounds.
Teaching our children mindfulness from an early age will help them be more resistant to developing those wounds. Practicing mindfulness around and with our children has many benefits. Let’s check them out.
Benefits of Mindfulness for Kids
Children are little sponges. They soak up everything their environment offers them.
If you are chaotic and anxiety-ridden, there’s a probability that your child will be too.
But if you can practice mindfulness around and with your children, then they will become more mindful as well.
By practicing mindfulness, we are providing our children with tools to build confidence, manage their anger and stress and become more resilient.
Mindfulness has so many benefits for children. Mindful.org presents a few of them below:
- Increased focus, attention, self-control, classroom participation, compassion.
- Improved academic performance, ability to resolve conflict, overall well-being.
- Decreased levels of stress, depression, anxiety, disruptive behavior.
Related: 40 Printable Positive Affirmations in Spanish To Boost Your Child’s Self-Esteem
How to practice mindfulness with children
You can practice mindfulness with your children in many ways.
- Practice mindfulness meditation. From an early age, encourage your children to sit and meditate with you. Even if it’s only for one or two minutes. There are many guided meditation resources available on YouTube for adults and children!
- Focus on breathing. Sit with your child and teach them different breathing techniques.Take a deep breath in for three, hold for three, breathe out for three. Breathe in for four, breathe out for four. Practicing breathing is a tool that they can use in their everyday lives to calm stress, nerves, fear and sadness.
- Practice yoga with your children. Exposing your children to yoga at a young age will increase your child’s awareness of the connection between mind and body.
- Get into nature. Go on a nature walk and encourage your child to listen to all of the nature sounds around. Nature gets us away from distractions and into a stress-free environment.
Related: Sounds of Nature Scavenger Hunt (Free Printable)
- Connect with your child. Turn off all screens and simply connect and talk with your child about what’s going on in their little worlds.
- Practice mindful coloring, either on a blank page, or coloring book.
- Pick one of the following mindfulness quotes for kids and talk about one a day. Create a routine of mindful moments out of it by giving examples or scenarios from your own life.
Alright now that we know what mindfulness is, the benefits of mindfulness and ways that we can practice mindfulness, let’s dive into these 90+ mindfulness quotes for kids.
Use these quotes to encourage your children to be more mindful and present throughout their daily lives. The more you practice it, the more it will engrain and become an important part of your child’s development.
Related: Printable Back-to-School Affirmations in Spanish for Kids
Mindfulness quotes for kids
1. “Mindfulness isn’t difficult, we just need to remember to do it.” -Sharon Salzberg
2. “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
3. “Mindfulness helps us to live in harmony with our thoughts, words, and actions.” – Amit Ray
4. “The body benefits from movement, and the mind benefits from stillness.” – Sakyong Mipham
5. “Don’t believe everything you think. Thoughts are just that – thoughts.” -Allan Lokos
6. “Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” -Jon Kabat-Zinn
7. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” -Pema Chodron
8. “When you bow, you should just bow; when you sit, you should just sit; when you eat, you should just eat.” ~-Shunryu Suzuki
9. “If you can’t do anything about it, then let it go. Don’t be a prisoner to things you can’t change.”
10. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” -Buddha
11. “Every one of us already has the seed of mindfulness. The practice is to cultivate it.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
12. “When I’m hungry, I eat what I love. When I’m bored, I do something I love. When I’m lonely, I connect with someone I love. When I feel sad, I remember that I am loved.” ~ Michelle May
13. “Just when you feel you have no time to relax, know this is the moment you most need to relax.” – Matt Haig
14. “Don’t stress about the worries of tomorrow when you can live in the beauty of today.”
15. “Look at other people and ask yourself if you are really seeing them or just your thoughts about them.” -Jon Kabat-Zinn
16. “When you replace ‘why is this happening to me?’ to ‘what is this trying to teach me?’ everything shifts.”
17. ”Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
18. “Worrying is silly, it’s like walking around with an umbrella waiting for it to rain.”
19. “How we pay attention to the present moment largely determines the character of our experience, and therefore, the quality of our lives.” – Sam Harris
20. “To meditate is to discover new possibilities, to awaken the capacities of us has to live more wisely, more lovingly, more compassionately, and more fully.” -Jack Kornfield
21. “Mindfulness means writing your story one word at a time.”
22. “Happiness is a state of inner fulfillment, not the gratification of inexhaustible desires for outward things.”” -Matthieu Ricard
23. “Thoughts will lead you in circles. Silence will bring you back to your centre.” -Rasheed Ogunlaru
24. “Don’t let the noise of other opinions drown your own inner voice.” – Steve Jobs
More Mindfulness quotes for kids
25. “Becoming awake involves seeing our confusion more clearly.”- Rumi
26. “Radical Acceptance is the willingness to experience ourselves and our lives as it is.” – Tara Brach
27. “In a world full of doing, doing, doing, it’s important to take a moment to just breathe, to just be.”
28. “The habit of spending nearly every waking moment lost in thought leaves us at the mercy of whatever our thoughts happen to be. Meditation is a way of breaking this spell.” -Sam Harris
29. “The kind of happiness that I’m talking about is the ability to feel comfortable no matter what emotion arises.” – Andy Puddicombe
30. “Every emotion is connected with the breath. If you change the breath, change the rhythm, you can change the emotion.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
31. “A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open.” – Frank Zappa
32. “The way to live in the present is to remember that ‘This too shall pass.’ When you experience joy, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ helps you savor the here and now. When you experience pain and sorrow, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ reminds you that grief, like joy, is only temporary.” – Joey Green
Related: 65+ Positive Quotes To Encourage an Optimistic Life
33. “Don’t do any task in order to get it over with. Resolve to do each job in a relaxed way, with all your attention. Enjoy and be one with your work.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
34. “You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.” – Eckhart Tolle
35. “Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you’re doing.” -Jon Kabat Zinn
36. “Strong minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Weak minds discuss people.” – Socrates
37. “We have only now, only this single eternal moment opening and unfolding before us, day and night.” ~Jack Kornfield
38. “Brilliant things happen in calm minds. Be calm. You’re brilliant.” – Headspace
39. “Loneliness is not cured by human company. Loneliness is cured by contact with reality.””- Anthony de Mello
40. “Don’t let the noise of other opinions drown your own inner voice.” – Steve Jobs
41. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ~ Amit Ray
42. “Respond; don’t react. Listen; don’t talk. Think; don’t assume.” -Raji Lukkoor
43. “Our life is shaped by our mind, for we become what we think.” ~ Buddha
44. “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.”“Open the window of your mind. Allow the fresh air, new lights, and new truths to enter.” -Amit Ra
45. “Gratitude and attitude are not challenges, they are choices.” -Robert Braathe
46. “Compassion and kindness towards oneself are intrinsically woven into mindfulness.”
47. In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.” – Eckhart Tolle
48. “The mind is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm, everything becomes clear.” –Prasad Mahes
49. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” – Aristotle
50. “If it’s out of your hands, it deserves freedom from your mind too.” – Ivan Nuru
51. “The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.” – Leo Tolstoy
52. “When you move your focus from competition to contribution life becomes a celebration. Never try to defeat people, just win their hearts.”
53. “In a world deluged by irrelevant information, clarity is power.” – Yuval Noah Harari
Related: 101+ Best Motivational Quotesto Inspire You!
54. “Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.” – St. Francis
55. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
56. “Few of us ever live in the present. We are forever anticipating what is to come or remembering what has gone.” – Louis L’Amour
57. “Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason so few engage in it.”-Henry Ford
58. “I once read that people who study others are wise but those who study themselves are enlightened.” -Robin S. Sharma
Inspirational quotes about mindfulness for kids
59. “Everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality.” -Robin S. Sharma
60. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” -Jon Kabat-Zinn
61. “If you get tired, learn to rest not to quit.” –Banksy
62. “The mind that opens to a new idea never returns to its original size.” – Albert Einstein
63. “This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” – Alan Watts
64. “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.” –Theodore Roosevelt
65. “The destination isn’t in finding yourself. the destination is in the search.” – Thomas Warfield
66. “Every time we become aware of a thought, as opposed to being lost in a thought, we experience that opening of the mind.” – Joseph Goldstein
67. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” – Aristotle
Related: 100 + Beautiful Self-Love Quotes in Spanish with English Translation
68. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” – Lao Tzu
69. “Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates: Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?”
70. “Work hard in silence. Let your success be your noise.” – Frank Ocean
71. “While you are walking, smile and be in the here and now, and you will transform that place into paradise.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
72. “As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise, you will miss most of your life.” – Buddha
73. “Mindfulness creates centered awareness. When you do one thing at a time, you’re guaranteed excellent results. If you do too many things simultaneously, it messes up your neural circuits. Focus on one thing at a time.” -Deepak Chopra
Beautiful mindfulness quotes for kids
74. “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.” -Thích Nhất Hạnh
75. “Looking at beauty in the world, is the first step of purifying the mind.” – Amit Ray
76. “Life is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance.” ~-Amit Ray
77. “You are the sky. Everything else is just the weather.” – Pema Chodron
78. “Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things, they are transformed.” -Thích Nhất Hạnh
Related: 85+ Famous Spanish Quotes About Life with English Translation
79. “These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.” – Najwa Zebian
80. “The still waters of a lake reflect the beauty around it. When the mind is still, the beauty of the self is reflected.” – Vanda Scaravelli
81. “Deep breaths are like little love notes to your body.”
82. “A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master–gardener of his soul, the director of his life.” – James Allen
83. “Mindfulness is about love and loving life. When you cultivate this love, it gives you clarity and compassion for life, and your actions happen in accordance with that.” – Jon Kabat- Zinn
Short mindfulness quotes for kids
84. “Your actions are your only true belongings.” -Allan Lokos
85. “Rule your mind or it will rule you.”-Buddha
86. “One who is patient glows with an inner radiance.” – Allan Lokos
87. “A mind set in its ways is wasted.” – Eric Schmidt
88. “Listen to silence. It has so much to say.” -Rumi
89. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha
90. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
91. “Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
92. “Wherever you are, be there totally.” – Eckhart Tolle
93. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” – Marcus Aurelius
94. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” -Dalai Lama
95. “Don’t let life harden your heart.” -Pema Chödrön
96. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” -Buddha
97. “The first and best victory is to conquer self.” – Plato
98. “Be happy in the moment. That is enough.” – Mother Teresa
99. “Breathe and let be.”
100. “Mindfulness begins with meditation.”
101. “Everyone can; it just takes a few tries.”
102. “Resting in this moment, we have no age.” -Jan Chozen Bays
103. “I am the captain of my soul.” Nelson Mandela
I hope you put some of these mindfulness exercises into your with your children. I promise if you make mindfulness a daily habit you will see a huge change in your child’s behavior and self-esteem. The practice of mindfulness will do many wondrous things for you and your family. <3
Sending out my best thoughts for you!
- 9 Positive Affirmations Coloring Pages for Kids in Spanish [Free Printable]
- 40 Printable Positive Affirmations in Spanish To Boost Your Child’s Self-Esteem
- Mosaic Heart Chalk Activity for Preschoolers
- 100 + Beautiful Self-Love Quotes in Spanish with English Translation